Nitrous Oxide (Laughing Gas)
Tampa FL General & Cosmetic Dentists, Drs. Kavouklis
Nitrous oxide has been the primary means of sedation in dentistry for many years. Nitrous oxide is extremely safe; the patient receives 50-70 percent oxygen with no less than 30 percent nitrous oxide. It is a sweet smelling, non-irritating, colorless gas which is inhaled. The patient is able to breathe on his or her own and remain in control of all bodily functions.
There are many advantages to using nitrous oxide for sedation during dental procedures:
- The depth of sedation can be altered at any time to increase or decrease sedation.
- There is no after effect such as a hangover
- Inhalation sedation is safe with no side effects on your heart or lungs
- Inhalation sedation is very effective in minimizing gagging
- It works rapidly reaching the brain within 20 seconds. In as few as two to three minutes, its relaxation and pain-killing properties develop.
Reasons Not to Use Nitrous Oxide
Though there are no major contra-indications to using nitrous oxide, you may not want to use it if you have emphysema, chest problems, multiple sclerosis, a cold, or other difficulties with breathing.
You may request a five (5) minute trial to see how you feel with this type of sedation method before proceeding.
Tampa Dental Phone Number 813-888-9004 Map & Directions Schedule An Appointment
Our office hours are Mon-Tue: 8:30AM - 6:00PM, Wed: 9:30AM - 6:00PM, Thu: 8:30AM - 5:00PM, Fri: 8:30AM - 1:00PM