Jaw Problems Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ)
Tampa FL General & Cosmetic Dentists, Drs. Kavouklis
TMJ is an acronym for temporomandibular joint, a.k.a. jaw joint. Clinically, we refer to problems associated with the jaw joint as TMJ Syndrome or TMD (disorder). Often TMJ Syndrome presents itself as a popping sound and sensation near the jaw joint.
TMJ Syndrome Symptoms include:
- Earaches, stiffness, or ringing in the ears
- Pain or soreness in and around the jaw joints
- Numbness in fingers and arms
- Difficulty swallowing
- Limited movement or locking of the jaw
- Clicking or grating sounds in the jaw joints
- Pain behind the eyes
- Neck, shoulder or back pain
- Facial pain
- Unexplained loosening of teeth
Left untreated, the TMJ symptoms increase in number and severity as you get older. In order to determine the best course of treatment, an accurate diagnosis is imperative. Consult with Dr. Kavouklis or Dr. Nick to determine if you are suffering from TMJ Syndrome. Many times all that’s needed is a simple adjustment to your bite (the way your teeth come together), or a small mouthpiece that corrects the way your jaw joint closes.